Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, , Québec, Canada
Tree: Our Family Tree
Notes:
The village previously known as L'Acadie, merged with Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu in 2001.
According to its website, Village Historique de L'Acadie, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu(http://www.lacadiehautrichelieu.com/Histoire/Histoire.html):
L'Acadie, the oldest parish of the Haut-Richelieu, comes from the Lords of Longueuil, Léry and the Jesuit Fathers of La Prairie. When she was founded in 1782, she was named Saint Marguerite of Blairfindie,
by complaisance for the Scotsman William Grant, husband of the Baroness of Longueuil.
It was also called Little Cadie.
In the second half of the eighteenth century, settlers settled on the banks of the "Petite-Rivière-de-Montréal" (L'Acadie River).
The clearing of the fertile lands of the valley is already well underway when, from 1763 and in successive clusters, Acadian exiles finally find refuge after years of wandering.
Their establishment gives impetus to colonization, demography and development of the sector. It will finally leave traces even in the name of the locality. But the geographical location of L'Acadie, set back from the main roads, and especially the passage of the railway between La Prairie and Saint-Jean, contribute to the migration of the population towards the urban area of ??Saint-Jean which, at this time, already is a regional capital.
With 1774 inhabitants in 1782, L'Acadie ranked among the most populous in the province and its vast territory originally covered Saint-Blaise, Saint-Luc, Saint-Cyprien, Napierville, Saint-Jacques-le -Mineur and part of Saint-Jean.
In 1827, it was the second largest wool mill in Canada.
During the 1837-1838 Insurrections, dozens of houses were burned by the troops of Major-General Sir John Colborne and the volunteer militia. However, the church and its outbuildings were spared.
In 1926 the locality took the name of Lacadie, then L'Acadie in 1976.
The painter-sculptor Napoléon Bourassa, the wheel spinner Jules L'Heureux and the founder of the Little Sisters of the Holy Family, Mother Léonie Paradis are native of L'Acadie.
The parish of Blairfindie founded in 1782, was part of the seigniories of Longueuil, de Léry and the Jesuit priests of La Prairie. It was named Saint Margaret of Blairfindie in honor of William Grant of Blairfindy, husband of the Baroness of Longueuil.
After its incorporation in 1845, the village kept its name. In 1926 it became Lacadie and in 1976, L'Acadie.
Acadia was the first parish in the Haut-Richelieu. During the 1837-1838 Rebellions the Army of Major-General Colborne and the Volunteer Militia burnt dozens of houses. The church and the adjacent buildings were spared.
Also known as Parish of Sainte-Marguerite-de-Blairfindie in St-John (St-Jean) County
Wikipedia:
L'Acadie is a former town in the Montérégie region of Quebec, Canada, on the west side of the Richelieu River, across from Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec. It was about 30 miles (50 km) from Montreal, and about the same distance from the United States border at the head of Lake Champlain. In 2001 L'Acadie merged with neighbouring Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, along with several other neighbouring towns and villages.
The area was settled in the late 18th century by Acadians returning to Canada after the forced deportation in the mid-1700s. The town was eventually named after these Acadians.[1]
L'Acadie is known by locals for having many century-old buildings and houses. The elementary school is named after Napoléon Bourassa, a sculptor, painter and artist of the 19th century.

Matches 1 to 1 of 1
Last Name, Given Name(s) ![]() |
Death ![]() |
Person ID | Tree | ||
---|---|---|---|---|---|
1 | ![]() | 5 Nov 1841 | Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, , Québec, Canada | I5092 | Our Family Tree |
Matches 1 to 1 of 1
Last Name, Given Name(s) ![]() |
Burial ![]() |
Person ID | Tree | ||
---|---|---|---|---|---|
1 | ![]() | 6 Nov 1841 | Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, , Québec, Canada | I5092 | Our Family Tree |
Matches 1 to 2 of 2
Family ![]() |
Marriage ![]() |
Family ID | Tree | ||
---|---|---|---|---|---|
1 | GILLIE / PAULIN | 11 Jul 1817 | Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, , Québec, Canada | F1832 | Our Family Tree |
2 | PAULIN / STOTT (HOUL) | 27 Jul 1801 | Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, , Québec, Canada | F1125 | Our Family Tree |